I think it's important to keep an open mind about change and really consider the best way for relating and applying information and our lessons in the classroom. A balance of new and old technology is necessary to give a round perspective of learning for children. We need to get students active for obtaining information like going to the library and not just researching via the internet.
One thing that surprised me in the article is that "67 percent of preschool children use computers. In fact...children under 6 spend an average of two hours a day in front of the screen". That sounds crazy to me! What could they be doing on there at such a young age? I honestly think that this is why the rate of obesity in this nation is increasingly.
I liked that the article included ways of how to include technology into the classroom. I like the idea of having a class blog so that the whole class can interact inside and outside of school. A wiki is something that I can see myself using as well. I think this would be really helpful for students working together. Like I said before, I think it is important to advance technologically within ourselves and the classroom, but it is equally important to incorporate other means of educating students.
I so agree with your comment regarding a balance between new and old technology and maybe not using any technology. The focus in on learning not on technology, but hopefully technology will help us as teachers prepare a lesson and help students actively learn. Blogs and wikis are great tools and I hope that you will use them often in your history classes.
ReplyDelete