Saturday, February 21, 2009

Assignment #2

I plan on teaching secondary social studies and some of the sites I found that I thought would be helpful are listed...

http://www.worldhistorycompass.com/ This website is really interesting. It is full of a huge amount of information pertaining to world history, and contains topics that range from very specific to very broad.

http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/revolution/index.html  This site specifically deals with the American Revolution. I like this site because it has pictures, timelines and descriptions of people and events during this time. 

http://www.history.com/minisites/lincoln Learning about the U.S. presidents will be present in every social studies classroom. This website is all about Abraham Lincoln. It describes his accomplishments, struggles, and his personal life. 

http://www.edhelper.com/geography/geography.htm This site has different activities for teaching geography. Not only will these activities teach students about geography, but it makes it fun to learn about. The site also has links about different continents and countries so you can look at each one more closely.  

del.icio.us is a very useful tool. One way that I could use this tool in my classroom is to have students in groups make their own del.icio.us accounts when working on a project together. Each student could find helpful sites and bookmark them on a shared account so that all of their work is combined at one location. Another way to use del.icio.us is with other teachers. This would be most helfpul with teachers who instruct the same subject as you, depending on what items you bookmark on your site. In my case, if other social studies teachers (and me) look on eachother's sites, we could help one another with lesson planning and ideas. It would make our job a little bit easier and maybe even more creative.   

No comments:

Post a Comment